Sunday, June 24, 2012

God Knows Your Name

By Hazel Holland


About five years ago I had an experience that forever changed the way I look at giving.

It was the day after Thanksgiving. I was pouring a large pot of home-made chili into a couple of plastic containers to freeze for a later date.

Since students from the nearby college often showed up unannounced at my door, it was always good to have extra food on hand.

After filling up one large container, I was suddenly struck with the idea of giving the rest of this chili to a homeless person. The prompting was so strong I knew it was from God. So I heated up the rest of the chili, poured it into a large cottage cheese container, placed several portions of warm homemade cornbread in a zip-lock bag, added several plastic spoons, and headed for my car. I knew I wouldn’t have to drive far before running into homeless people.

But as I drove down the street and saw the first homeless person, I heard God say, “Not this one!”

“Why not, God?” I questioned.

Then I noticed several more homeless people nearby. “I have enough chili and cornbread in my sack to feed all of them” I reminded God. I hadn’t expected Him to want me to pass by homeless people like this…

As I continued to drive down the street I passed by several more homeless people in the same way. Each time God would say, “Not this one!” So I obeyed, and moved on.

When I finally came up to a major intersection and asked God which way to go, He immediately prompted me to turn right. Who was the person whom God had in mind for this food? I wondered.

Then the Spirit spoke to my heart again and said, “Look down the road!”
Off in the distance I saw someone standing on the narrow divider that separates traffic. From a distance I couldn’t tell if it was a man or a woman, because they were bundled up in an over-sized jacket with the hood pulled down over their head.

“Is that the person you want me to give this meal to?” I asked God.

“That’s the one!” He replied.

A tangible joy born of the Spirit began to rise up inside of me. I got in the left-hand lane as I neared the divider, hoping that the light would turn red so that I could stop for a moment, roll down my window, and hand this person their meal. But the light stayed green. So I drove on by planning to make a u-turn at the next green light.

The thrill of this adventure with God overwhelmed my spirit as I prepared to make a second attempt to deliver this food. This time when the light turned red I found myself opposite the stranger. As he lifted up his head I could see his unshaven face. Quickly I rolled down my window and thrust the paper sack of chili and cornbread towards Him.

“God wants you to know that He knows your name!” I called out.

Immediately he threw back the hood of his jacket and hurried towards me. His face looked worn, yet familiar.

“Remember me?” he asked as tears streamed down his face. “I’m Stephen. Two years ago you brought me and several other homeless people Thanksgiving dinner!”

“Yes…! I stammered as tears filled my eyes. I remembered how he had dropped to his knees, and with tears of gratitude raised his hands toward heaven and thanked God for the “feast” in front of him.

“This chili and cornbread is a gift from God to let you know how much He loves YOU! Hope it warms you up. It’s kind of cold outside today.”

He took the food gratefully and began thanking me profusely. “Don’t thank me I”, I responded. “God had me by-pass several other homeless people before I got to you, because He wants you to know that He knows your name! Stephen, God knows your name!”

Immediately he stopped thanking me, lifted his eyes toward heaven and began to pray. He was oblivious to the people in the cars watching him. So was I. “God knows your name” I repeated softly to myself as the light turned green. “It’s written on the palm of His hand!”

I don’t remember the drive home. It’s kind of a blur. But I do remember God’s joy flooding my heart and streaming down my face. Nothing could compare with the pure joy of seeing that homeless man enjoy his unexpected blessing! I couldn’t stop thanking God for a taste of His goodness and grace.

By obeying the Spirit’s leading, I discovered that blessing someone means giving something to them for their sake, not for my own. Could it be that God has always meant for us to share in the joy of blessing one another face to face like this? I believe that the body of Christ is strengthened and edified when we personally bless one another, and are blessed by one another.

In some small way through this experience I began to catch a glimpse of the pure agape love of God who willingly poured out His life for me.  Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than receive”.  Now I know why.

See: Blessing Others For Their Sake--Not Our Own

No comments:

Post a Comment