Sunday, February 7, 2010

Accepting God's Goodness

By Hazel Holland

The Bible tells us that we as believers are the righteousness of God in Christ (Romans 3:21-26). Therefore, as believers we can boldly say to the enemy when he tempts us to doubt God's love for us, "I am the righteousness of God in Christ!"

I don't have a righteousness of my own, but I'm wholly dependent on the righteousness of the blood of Jesus Christ. So when I'm reminded of my shortcomings, and I battle the accusations of the enemy, I can still say, "I am the righteousness of God in Christ, and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses me from all sin, and sets me free from the lies of the enemy!"

When I'm having a difficult time forgiving someone who has hurt me, I can still say, "I am the righteousness of God in Christ! Since the blood of Jesus Christ has already forgiven them, I choose to forgive them, too."

When I'm faced with sickness or I'm grieving over the loss of a loved one, I can still say, "I am the righteousness of God in Christ! The blood of Jesus Christ heals me and comforts me in my loss."

What if I were to live my life each day recognizing that what God says about me is true? No matter what circumstance I find myself in, I am the righteousness of God in Christ!

Would the truth of what God has said about me make a difference in the way I live my life? Would I relate differently with the people around me? Would I begin to long to share with others the power of His resurrection?

I can't earn the righteousness of God that He freely gives me in Christ. I can only accept God's goodness. I can't work at it or make myself more worthy to receive it. No. It is God's free gift to me. It is a blessing of the gospel.

As believers in the finished work of Jesus Christ, you and I are the righteousness of God in Christ. I want to live the rest of my life with this truth firmly fixed in my mind and spirit. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment