Wednesday, September 3, 2008

When God says, "No!" (4)

By Hazel Holland

The Bible is clear. Sometimes God chooses NOT to heal us physically. Paul is an outstanding example of someone who was not physically healed even though he prayed three times to the Lord to have the “thorn” in his flesh removed.

"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 (NIV)

I believe it would be totally ludicrous to believe that Paul, who had the gift of healing, was denied healing because of His lack of faith.

“As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you. Even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. What has happened to all your joy? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me.” Galatians 4:13-15 (NIV)

Furthermore, Paul would be considered totally out of line with some of the current wind of faith teachings today because of the medicinal advice he gave Timothy. Instead of telling Timothy, “Claim your healing, brother!” he told Timothy to take a little wine with his water for the sake of his frequent stomach problems. Thus, Paul acknowledged Timothy’s ongoing illnesses, rather than speaking healing into the situation (1 Timothy 5:23).

“Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.” 1 Timothy 5:23 (NIV)

We find that sickness had an effect on the ministry of the apostles, and they had to make adjustments in their ministries just like we do today.

"Erastus stayed in Corinth, and I left Trophimus sick in Miletus.” 2 Timothy 4:20 (NIV)

“But I think it is necessary to send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs. For he longs for all of you and is distressed because you heard he was ill. Indeed he was ill, and almost died. But God had mercy on him, and not on him only but also on me, to spare me sorrow upon sorrow.” Philippians 2:25-27 (NIV)

There is absolutely no indication in either of these passages that there was a lack of faith on Paul’s part or on the part of those with whom he ministered. Although Paul had the gift of healing (See Acts 19:11-12; 20:9-12) apparently God did not always choose to heal through Paul’s ministry. Since Paul believed that Christ’s grace was sufficient for him, it follows that he would also believe that Christ’s grace would also be sufficient for others whom God chose not to heal. In the same way, Christ’s grace will also be sufficient for us.

To continue this study go to "Dual Application of Healing Scriptures" at:
http://sound-the-trumpet.blogspot.com/2008/09/dual-application-of-healing-scriptures.html

No comments:

Post a Comment